5-Day Orientation Training
All new MST therapists, supervisors, and some other MST program staff receive five days of training to be introduced to the theory and techniques of the treatment model. The training includes didactic teaching, role-playing and other exercises designed to stimulate critical thinking about the treatment process. This orientation is designed to prepare MST teams to begin working with youth and their families.
To register for a training:
Please click on the link on the right side of this page to view a list of available 5-Day Orientation Training locations/dates and to register. For questions regarding a specific 5-day training, please click on the contact person listed under each location.
Please note that all registrants of the 5-day orientation training must be a part of a licensed MST team or organization. See attendance requirements below. For information on how to become licensed, please contact Melanie Duncan at email@example.com or (843) 284-2221.
For a copy of the 5-day orientation training agenda, please click here.
The goals of the training are as follows:
- to familiarize therapists with the theoretical, empirical, and clinical paradigms underlying the MST model and help them begin to incorporate those paradigms into their work
- to familiarize therapists with the scope, correlates, and causes of serious behavior problems addressed by MST
- to describe the theoretical and empirical basis for MST
- to describe common family, peer, school, individual, and social support assessment and intervention strategies used in MST
- to teach therapists to conceptualize cases and interventions in terms of the MST principles
- to teach therapists to use the Do-Loop to conceptualize cases and design and implement interventions
- to describe strategies MST teams use to build strong, collaborative relationships with stakeholder agencies in the community
- to describe the MST therapists’ role in continuous quality improvement
- to provide therapists with opportunities to practice using MST assessment strategies and interventions
- All registrants must be part of a licensed MST team or organization. In addition, all registrants must be registered on the MST Institute (MSTI) website and must be pre-approved to attend the training from their MST Consultant/Expert prior to registering.
- Any additional persons attending must be approved 14 days in advance of the first day of training by the MST Services Coordinator.
- Waiting lists may be maintained for each training, but must be cleared 14 days prior to the first day of training. Clearing includes either filling unconfirmed reservations or reassigning the waiting trainee to the next available training.
Training reservations & cancellations:
- As personnel are hired, the program site manager must assure that the Trainee is properly registered on the MSTI website and on the training website. The MSTI website will serve to verify the eligibility of the trainee.
- As trainees are formally registered, advance preparation material will be shipped directly to the trainee or to the person designated on the registration form. Trainees are expected to read all suggested readings in advance of training. Trainees cancelling after materials have been shipped are subject to a $100 cancellation fee.
- Trainees cancelling within seven days are subject to a $50 cancellation fee (if materials have not been shipped).
- Reserved slots not confirmed within 10 days of the first day of training are subject to cancellation.
- Due to potential low enrollment, training sites reserve the right to cancel trainings no later than two weeks prior to the training start date. Before making any travel arrangements, confirm your training has not been cancelled by contacting the contact person listed for the location in which you are planning to attend. If a training is cancelled, the training coordinator will assist in finding the next available training.