4-Day MST-CAN Orientation Training
All new MST-CAN therapists, team case managers, supervisors, and selected related staff and partners receive four days of training to be introduced to the evidence-based treatment strategies and techniques used in the MST-CAN treatment model. The training includes didactic teaching, role-playing and other exercises designed to develop skills used in the treatment process. This training is designed to prepare MST-CAN teams to begin using these techniques with children and their families, within the context of MST-CAN.
- All clinical team registrants must be part of a licensed MST-CAN team and have previously attended a 5-day MST Orientation training. In addition, all registrants must be registered on the MST Institute (MSTI) website and must be pre-approved to attend the training from their MST-CAN Consultant/Expert prior to registering.
- Any additional persons attending must be approved 14 days in advance of the first day of training by the MST Services Coordinator.
- A wait list may be maintained for each training. If a wait list exists, it must be cleared 14 days prior to the first day of training. Clearing includes either filling unconfirmed reservations or reassigning the waiting trainee to the next available training.
To register for a training:
To register for a 4-Day MST-CAN Orientation Training, please find a list of available locations on the right side of this page and click on the dates you wish to attend. For a list of other locations, please click on the links for 'Other US Locations' or 'International Locations'. For questions regarding a specific 4-Day MST-CAN Orientation Training, please click on the contact person listed under each location.
Please note that all registrants for the 4-Day MST-CAN Orientation Training must be a part of a licensed MST-CAN team (i.e. a clinical team member, related staff, or close working partner such as a case worker from Child Protective Services). See attendance requirements above. For information on how to become a licensed team, please contact Keller Strother at email@example.com or Melanie Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The goals of the training are as follows:
This training introduces the knowledge base and processes needed to implement the MST-CAN model and the skills and competencies MST-CAN therapists need for such implementation. The objectives of the 4-Day MST-CAN Orientation Training are:
- To examine causes, correlates, and impact of child abuse and neglect
- To demonstrate how the Analytic Process and the 9 Treatment Principles are applied in MST-CAN
- To introduce the use of functional analysis when working with families where physical aggression occurs
- To introduce the procedures for creating and implementing family safety strategies during MST-CAN treatment
- To provide an overview of strategies to reduce PTSD symptoms in children and parents impacted by traumatic events
- To introduce family problem-solving and communication skills for families impacted by abuse and neglect and family conflict
- To teach cognitive-behavioral skills that have been incorporated into MST-CAN anger management training
- To introduce the purpose and process of the abuse clarification process as part of treating families impacted by abuse and neglect
- To introduce and teach implementation of the Reinforcement Based Treatment model for parental substance abuse
Training reservations & cancellations:
- Program sites anticipating hiring of new staff may reserve slots in advance for a training that best fits with the hiring schedule.
- As personnel are hired, the program site manager must assure that the Trainee is properly registered on the MSTI website and on the training website. The MSTI website will serve to verify the eligibility of the trainee.
- As trainees are formally registered, advance preparation material will be shipped directly to the trainee or to the person designated on the registration form. Trainees are expected to read all suggested readings in advance of training. Trainees cancelling after materials have been shipped are subject to a $100 cancellation fee.
- Trainees cancelling within seven days are subject to a $50 cancellation fee (if materials have not been shipped).
- Reserved slots not confirmed within 10 days of the first day of training are subject to cancellation.
- Due to potential low enrollment, training sites reserve the right to cancel trainings no later than two weeks prior to the training start date. Before making any travel arrangements, confirm your training has not been cancelled by contacting the contact person listed for the location in which you are planning to attend. If a training is cancelled, the training coordinator will assist in finding the next available training.