4-Day Trauma Treatment Training for Adults and Youth in MST-CAN
All new MST-CAN therapists, team case managers, supervisors, and selected related staff and partners receive four days of training to be introduced to the evidence-based treatment strategies and techniques used in the MST-CAN treatment model. The training includes didactic teaching, role-playing and other exercises designed to develop skills used in the treatment process. This training is designed to prepare MST-CAN teams to begin using these techniques with children and their families, within the context of MST-CAN.
- All clinical team registrants must be part of a licensed MST-CAN team and have previously attended a 5-day MST Orientation training. In addition, all registrants must be registered on the MST Institute (MSTI) website and must be pre-approved to attend the training from their MST-CAN Consultant/Expert prior to registering.
- Any additional persons attending must be approved 14 days in advance of the first day of training by the MST Services Coordinator.
- A wait list may be maintained for each training. If a wait list exists, it must be cleared 14 days prior to the first day of training. Clearing includes either filling unconfirmed reservations or reassigning the waiting trainee to the next available training.
To register for a training:
To register for a 4-Day MST-CAN Trauma Training, please find a list of available locations on the right side of this page and click on the dates you wish to attend. For a list of other locations, please click on the links for 'Other US Locations' or 'International Locations'. For questions regarding a specific 4-Day MST-CAN Trauma Training, please click on the contact person listed under each location.
Please note that all registrants for the 4-Day MST-CAN Trauma Training must be a part of a licensed MST-CAN team (i.e. a clinical team member, related staff, or close working partner such as a case worker from Child Protective Services). See attendance requirements above. For information on how to become a licensed team, please contact Keller Strother at firstname.lastname@example.org or Melanie Duncan at email@example.com.
The goals of the training are as follows:
This training introduces the knowledge base and processes needed to implement the MST-CAN model and the skills and competencies MST-CAN therapists need for such implementation. The objectives of the 4-Day MST-CAN Trauma Training are:
- To teach trainees to assess and identify PTSD in clients and identify when treatment for PTSD is warranted
- To introduce Prolonged Exposure as an effective, evidence-based treatment for PTSD
- To teach trainees to effectively deliver Prolonged Exposure treatment in MST-CAN
- To provide trainees with practice in delivering Prolonged Exposure
- To be able to assess and identify trauma symptoms in children and identify when treatment for PTSD is warranted
- To introduce Trauma-Focused--Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy as an effective, evidence-based treatment for childhood trauma
- To teach trainees to effectively deliver TF-CBT in MST-CAN
- To provide trainees with video and in vivo examples of TF-CBT
Training reservations & cancellations:
- Program sites anticipating hiring of new staff may reserve slots in advance for a training that best fits with the hiring schedule.
- As personnel are hired, the program site manager must assure that the Trainee is properly registered on the MSTI website and on the training website. The MSTI website will serve to verify the eligibility of the trainee.
- As trainees are formally registered, advance preparation material will be shipped directly to the trainee or to the person designated on the registration form. Trainees are expected to read all suggested readings in advance of training. Trainees cancelling after materials have been shipped are subject to a $100 cancellation fee.
- Trainees cancelling within seven days are subject to a $50 cancellation fee (if materials have not been shipped).
- Reserved slots not confirmed within 10 days of the first day of training are subject to cancellation.
- Due to potential low enrollment, training sites reserve the right to cancel trainings no later than two weeks prior to the training start date. Before making any travel arrangements, confirm your training has not been cancelled by contacting the contact person listed for the location in which you are planning to attend. If a training is cancelled, the training coordinator will assist in finding the next available training.